Summer’s here, and what better way to cool down on a hot summer day that with a refreshing glass of homemade iced tea?
This delicious recipe combines fresh blackberries and basil for a unique flavour that’s sure to help quench your thirst. Using an instant pot to brew the tea makes this super easy to make and results in a tea with lots of flavour in a very short time.
Instant Pot Blackberry Basil Iced Tea
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes active (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural Release: 10 minutes
- 8 cups of water
- 6 organic black tea bags, paper tags removed
- 1½ cups of fresh blackberries, divided
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup of honey, preferably local
- ½ cup of water
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
Fresh basil sprigs
- Add water, tea bags, and a half cup blackberries to Instant Pot and stir to combine. Add lid and lock into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 5 minutes.
- While the tea is brewing, add remaining blackberries, basil, honey, and water to saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, gently pressing on the blackberries to release their juices while continually stirring the mixture to combine, for 4-5 minutes. Once the honey is completely melted and the mixture starts to thicken, remove from heat and set aside.
- When cook time on Instant Pot® is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release to release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully strain hot tea mixture with a fine mesh strainer. Pour the reserved liquid into a large, heat-resistant pitcher and sweeten with the blackberry honey simple syrup, to taste. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Add fresh lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately over ice with fresh blackberries and a sprig of fresh basil for garnish. Enjoy!
Tip: To reduce bitterness, add a pinch of baking soda prior to brewing and remove the tea bags as soon as the pressure has been fully released.